When it comes to face masks for oily, acne-prone, and combination skin, bentonite clay may be an answer to all your skin woes.В
Clay masks are sooth and heal skin andВ remove excess oil, making them excellent for oily skin types. However, by removing excess oil, clay masks can also be drying for less oily skin types. Experts don't recommend them for dry skin, unless you add an oil to the ingredient mix.
You can pick up a basic green clayВ powder from most health/food stores or buy it online for the cheapest price. Aztec Healing Clay is an affordable and effective option.В
Some tips for creating your own green clay masks:
- Create a basic mask by taking the powder clay and adding water.В If you have oily skin, stick to just water. Jojoba oil is a great additive for those with dry skin, and milk will reduce drying effects for those with combination skin.В
- Masks (homemade or otherwise) should stay on for 10-15 minutes. Follow with cleansing and В moisturizer.
- Don't use a metal utensil or bowl when working with and mixing your clay. The metal reacts to the clay, reducing some of its clarifying properties.В
French Green Clay Mask With Essential Oils
This mask uses bothВ green clay and kaolin clay, which is a gentle exfoliant. You can buy these items at a health/food store or online.
- 1ВЅ tsp French green clayВ
- ВЅ tsp kaolin clayВ
- 1ВЅ tbsp aloe vera gel
- 1 tbsp rose water
- 2 drops rose essential oil (or an acne-reducing essential oil)
- Mix theВ green and kaolin clays together.
- AddВ the aloe vera gel, rose water, and any other oils.
- Refrigerate the mixture. It will keep for up to four weeks, so you can treat your skin again and again!
Basic Clay Mask
For a simpler version of a clay mask, gather some household ingredients and mix them together with the green clay.В
- Green clay-If you have sensitive skin, try the Rise n' Shine Bentonite Indian ClayВ The Aztec Secret Healing Clay is also a fan favorite.
- 1 tsp honey
- Water forВ oily skin, milkВ for combination skin, or jojoba oil for dry skin
- Optional: your favorite essential oil
- Mix 2 parts liquid to 1 part clay.
- Mix in a bit of honey, making sure to stir thoroughly.
- If the clay is too dry, add some more liquid.В
- If you want, add a few drops of your favorite essential oil.В
- Apply the mask and keep it on for around 15 minutes.В
- Remove the mask with a steaming washcloth, and marvel at your fresh face.В
Purifying Clay Mask for Oily Skin
If you're someone who suffers from oily skin, a quick mix of some essential oils and clay may help reduce oiliness.В
- 1 tbsp green clay
- 1 tsp apricot kernel oil
- 3 drops of palmarosa essential oil
- Mix the palmarosa and apricot oils. Palmarosa oil serves as an antiseptic, while the apricot kernel oil moisturizes and softens skin.В
- Add the oils to the clay, adding a few drops of water if necessary.
- Mix together and add more water if need be to give the mask a spreadable consistency.В
- Apply an even layer of the mask on your face.
- Let itВ dry for 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off with a warm washcloth.В
Clay and Oats Mask for Acne-inflamed Skin
Got an active breakout? Tea tree oil can help calm inflamed skin and reduce redness. This oil helps by killing acne bacteria and keeping your skin's oil production in check. Not only that, but it can be used to help heal cuts and scrapes, too.В
- 1 tbsp bentonite clay
- 1-2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp ground oats
- 4 drops tea tree essential oilВ
- Mix the clay, water, oats, and oil together in a glass bowl.В
- Gently spread an even layer onto your face. Avoid rubbing the mixture onto your skin. Rubbing too hard can irritate your skin.В
- Let the mask dry for around 10 minutes, then rinse with warm water to remove.В
Deep-Cleansing Clay and Egg White Mask
Looking to both cleanse and hydrate? This mask variation uses clay to purify and egg white to help tighten poresвЂ¦ В
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp white bentonite clay
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1 drop of your favorite essential oil
- Blend the mask ingredients in a bowl.
- Apply an even layer to your face and allow it to dry.
- Leave the mask on for as long as you'd like.
- Wash off with a warm washcloth.