Take a look in the mirror. Have you been working that same haircut since you were in high school? Don't be ashamed, most guys do have a tendency to get stuck in a rut. We become comfortable with the same look and often stick to the old saying, вЂњif it ain't broke, don't fix it.вЂќ Here's the deal. If you've had the same haircut for a decade, it is вЂњbroke,вЂќ so to speak, and it's time to change your hairstyle. Ever wonder why women change their hairstyles so often? It's simple. They know that changing up the 'do is a fairly easy and inexpensive way to change up their look.
So, why bother? Well, the haircut you currently have may not be flattering your facial features for one thing. Sure, it may have worked a decade ago, but your face changes over time. Especially if you are maturing, an updated haircut can help you look younger into middle age (and beyond). Second, a new haircut is a great way to get noticed and keep you current. Need a little motivation to take the plunge?В
1) Eliminate the fear of change. Yeah, as guys, we tend to be kinda fearless. We'll shoot guns, skydive, and drive fast cars, but when it comes to something as simple as getting a new haircut, we wimp out. Keep this in mind -- a haircut isn't a life-threatening experience. If you don't like it, your hair will always grow back. Getting a new haircut is one adventure you shouldn't be hesitant about.
2) Pick a new hairstyle with confidence. When choosing a new hairstyle, it's important to be armed with the knowledge to help pick the right option. A haircut can dramatically enhance your best facial features (and downplay stuff you don't like). Knowing your face shape and how a haircut can balance facial features are two big steps in knowing how to confidently choose a new hairstyle.
3) Look at some pictures. Once you've figured out which type of haircut can help balance out your facial features, take a little time to pick a few haircuts that you like. Select a few options and print them out and take them with you to the barbershop or salon. Don't be shy about doing this -- your barber or stylist will appreciate the effort as it lets him see exactly what you're looking for.
4) Talk to your barber or stylist. Guess what? Barbers and hairstylists are specifically trained to know what type of haircut will best flatter your facial features and work with your hair type and growth pattern. They go to school and pay for this training -- take advantage of their tips! If you're thinking about changing your style ask for their advice. Especially if you're a long time client, the person who cuts your hair will happily offer you advice. Believe me, a barber or stylistВ gets really tired of putting the same haircut on your head time after time and would love to change you up a bit. Are any of my clients reading this? Leave your head in the hands of a trained professional and you may be thrilled with the results. When choosing a barber or stylist, as a general rule, barbers are better with short, traditional styles while stylists are best with longer or trendy looks.
While you're with your barber or stylist, be sure to ask them to show you styling techniques you can do at home -- this will help make adapting to a new style a bit easier, too.
5) Talk to your friends and family. What? I'm a guy, you expect me to talk about my hair? Sure. Ask your wife or girlfriend or significant other if you think you should change up your look a bit. You'll probably get a resounding, вЂњYES!вЂќ You see, the people around you who see you every day get tired of seeing the same old thing, too. Give them something fresh to look at. Having a few people tell you to вЂњgo for it,вЂќ will also make taking the plunge a bit easier.
6) Time it right. Try to get your haircut at the start of a weekend or right before some time off -- this will give you a day or so to get used to the new look so you can confidently wear it around friends and co-workers. This isn't really necessary if you're just making a minor adjustment, but if you're going for a big change (and I hope you are), you'll need some time to adjust to your own new reflection in the mirror. Choosing the right time is especially important when you are going from long hair to short hair.
Now that you know the best ways to change up your hairstyle, call and make an appointment to get a haircut already! Change is a good thing.