Regardless of whether you've had the same hairstyle for years, or you've only had it for a few weeks, it might be time for a change. When is a good time to change your hairstyle? Whenever you want. But if you don't like styling your hair, you pull it back every day, or you could describe your hair as "dull," it's a safe bet that a change in hair is right for you. Another time many people get a haircut is when they've just experienced a major life change-good or bad. If you want a change, you probably know it.
First off, pick a hairstylist that you can trust. If your stylist cuts your current hair well but you don't trust them to transform your look, or you're less than confident about them, it's time to go shopping for a new one. Getting a new look requires that you put your identity in the hands of another person, and you want to find a stylist who aligns with that vision.В Ask friends, co-workers, or family members with great hair for recommendations, or just use a site like Yelp!
When you go in, as with anything, it's important to know what you want and where your limits are. Look through photos of hairstyles, save them on your phone or print them out, and take them with you to your appointment. A picture provides a much better explanation than you ever could. It's also really important to listen to your hairstylist, and give them a little freedom to make suggestions. However, it's still most important that you get a new style that you love. You can shake it up by getting:
- Bangs.В Everyone has a bang phase, seemingly. Some people work it, some don't, but people who work it reallyВ do. Changing your fringe may be just the ticket to a great hairstyle change. Bangs, when done right, are stylish-however, they're also a lot of work to take care of.В
- Layers. People make big mistakesВ by telling their stylist not to cut in layers. For anyone, layers can frame the face in aВ way that's complimentary, and will create depth, enhance body, and define a desirable shape in your hair. When layers are properly cut, they can also make thick hair easier to manage and give thin hair a fuller appearance.
- Bob. The bob haircut isn't going anywhere, andВ it can be adjusted to beВ edgy or simple as your personal style. Bob haircuts are easy to style, look polished with just a little effort, and can look good withВ just about any hair type and face shape. It's also a great style to consider when you want to try something shorter, but don't want to commit to "too short".
- Short hair. Short hair can be sexy, edgy, romantic, and beautiful. When you're ready for something easy to style with a lot of personality, a short haircutВ is often a great answer. If your hair has always been long, short hair can be a truly refreshing new start. There are also tons of different ways to cut your hair short. Make sure you discuss yourВ ideas with your stylist.В Ask themВ to help you decide what type of short haircut will best compliment your face shape, hair type, and individual style.
- Color. Nothing can change your looks like a fresh new color, face brightening highlights, or a lowlight to add depth. Make it clear to your stylist what tones andВ colors you love, and which ones you hate. Do you like red? How red? Does the thought of blonde hair make your stomach turn? Define dark. Make sure that you and your stylist are speaking the same language when choosing your color. Their definition of copper and yours could be very different.
- Maintenance. Maintaining your new look could mean the difference in getting something you love and something you hate. Talk to your stylist about regular cut and color maintenance, and daily maintenance, to keep your look fresh. Is this new look budget friendly? Do you have the products and tools necessary to style your new look?
When you completely changeВ your look, it can be a shocking experience, particularly if you've had the same hairstyle for a long time (or since the beginning of time). Work with and adjust to your new style, and try not to go back to the same habits that pushed you to a makeoverВ to begin with. Take note of the things you like about your new style, if there are things that aren't working for you, and keep communicating with your hair stylist. It could easily take a few appointments to get every detail right, but it's better than staying bored. Above all, enjoy your new, fresh look. Show it off, have fun, and let your new hairstyle inspire you. Experiment with new makeup colors, maybe different outfits. You'll find that a new hairstyle can just be the beginning of a brand new you.