Celebrities almost always seem to know how to pose in ways that evenly distribute the weight on their bodies. But we all know they don't look like it all the time, so how is it that celebrities always look skinny when they pose for photos on the red carpet? First of all, ask yourself the question: Don't they all seem to be posing in the same way? That's because they are.
The secret to looking proportionate in pictures is in the way you stand, something celebrities are taught before even walking their first carpet. Once you learn the tricks, anyoneВ can put their most "ideal" self forward. The secret is in the pose. Well, that and the fact that celebrities have professional makeup artists, get sprayed by professional tanning people, wear gut-sucking Spanx, and take classes learning exactly how to pose and behave on red carpets.В
Keep in mind, thisВ is intended for people already fully intent on learning how to look more "conventionally attractive" in photos. If you don't particularly care about looking skinny, or are a victim of body dysmorphia, or reading this article will contribute to issues relating to self-worth, don't keep reading. Skinny doesn't equate healthy, and the standards set by celebrities on red carpets are practically unattainable without a whole team behind you. Red carpet beauty doesn't define beauty as a whole.
- Secret No. 1: Turn partially sideways to the camera, planting one foot in front of the other. Point your toe to the camera and place your weight on your back foot.
- Secret No. 2: Pull your head forward slightly to minimize any appearance of a double chin. It's also common for celebrities and models toВ place their tongue on the roof of their mouth while smiling.
- Secret No. 3: Hold your arms slightly away from your body. This keeps any upper arm fatВ from flattening out against your body and therefore appearing wider than they are. Similarly, if you're sitting, cross your ankles to thin out your thighs.
- Secret No. 4: Pull your shoulders back, your chest forward, and gently suck your stomach in. Regardless,В be careful not to suck the stomach so far that your ribs show.В
- Secret No. 5: If you can get away with it without looking like a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Cover Girl wannabe, try the look away trick. To do this, look away from the camera, then turn and break into a smile just before the camera clicks. Your smile will appear fresh, not canned. This particular trick takes practice behind closed, locked doors.
When taking a photo, remember camera angle counts, so it's important the photographer doesn't snap the picture from below. It's the least flattering angle. You can also use objects you are holding to your advantage by placing them in front of body parts you'd prefer to hide. Keep it simple and natural, such as a purse in front of your belly or a jacket slung over the shoulder. If you know you're going to be in photos, put on someВ Spanx or another comfortable shapewear. When you're shopping for them, think twice about what exactly you're getting. Like most hose, they already tend to tear easily, and Spanx, in particular, are rather pricey.
Other things like fake tans and wearing monochrome outfitsВ will make you look skinnier, too. In the past, fake tans tended to smell really bad, but science has come a long way. Today, there are quite a fewВ great self-tanning productsВ that look great, and don't come with all the fuss and flaws everyoneВ had to deal with before. AndВ it's not just black that's slimming. Wearing an entire outfit in just one color will do the trick as well, whether it be white, beige, brown, blue, or red. Wearing just a single color elongates your figure.В